22 June 2009

grilled pork chops and chili slaw

This was recipe #26, and I made it exactly as the webpage said (all the way down to grilling the fresh pineapple slices as well), so I won't retype it all. Here's the link where I got it from Better Homes and Gardens:

grilled pork chops and pineapple with chili slaw


I was surprised at how good it was! I was a bit hesitant to try the slaw since I'm not a huge fan of it normally - it has too much mayo. I thought I'd give this a shot because it had no mayo, but even then, the vinegar smell was a little strong. Once I drained off the extra dressing that had pooled in the bottom of the bowl (after mixing everything up), it wasn't as bad.

Adam and I both definitely preferred to eat the slaw in the same bite with the pork. The slaw was okay by itself, and really good with the pork! I plated it with the pork in the center of the plate and the slaw directly on top of it, and the pineapple on the side.

That was our Father's Day dinner. For breakfast, we had these crepes with strawberries, blueberries, banana slices, and fresh whipped cream. Adam didn't get them in bed, because he was taking care of the whipped cream and doing other things while I was making the crepes. But he did get one of his favorites without having to make it himself!

And now I have to find another recipe to use the rest of the cabbage - I think this is the second time I've bought cabbage ever so I have no idea what to do with it. The other time was cabbage rolls with rice and meat in them, but that was a winter meal. I need something light right now.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow that sounds really tasty. As for the leftover cabbage, I know you don't like mayo, but this is one of my dad's fave side dishes: shredded cabbage, mayo, pineapple chunks, sugar, raisins (all ingredients to taste--sorry, no measurements). Don't know if that sounds gross to you, but it is pretty yummy (as in, the kids will eat it!). Good luck using your cabbage. :)

Amanda said...

it's not really soup weather - but there are some amazing cabbage soup recepies! I'll have to see if i can dig mine out - but it is pretty much a tomato/ground beef soup with shreaded cabbage - the cabbage ends up feeling more like noodles - which is great, because i really don't like cabbage :)