25 June 2009

beef cabbage hash

This is number 27, which I got off AllRecipes and varied it a bit. It's more of a winter dish than summer, but I needed to use both potatoes and cabbage, and this took care of both.
  • 1 pound hamburger
  • 1 onion, chopped - I used about half an onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • potatoes - chopped into bite sized pieces, and I microwaved them first to soften them.
  • shredded cabbage - the original called for an entire head. I think I used about a third of the head. It does cook down quite a bit, but it was still plenty in the balance of the whole thing.
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 beef bullion cube - or you could use vegetable
  • Worcestershire sauce - to taste
  • salt and pepper
Brown the hamburger with the onion and garlic in a large skillet. Drain any excess grease out of the pan. Add the rest of the ingredients, and keep mixing it around to cook it through. Then eat!

If you don't precook the potatoes to soften them, it will take FOREVER to cook and the cabbage will be completely obliterated. I added the cabbage at handful at a time - there just wasn't room in the skillet for everything all at once, and it did wilt down fairly quickly while waiting for the potatoes to get done. We were surprised at how much we liked it, and the cabbage had a sweet taste to it that we weren't expecting. I'm putting this on file to make again when the weather cools off.

1 comment: