This is a Weight Watchers recipe (5 points per serving) and a huge favorite at our house. I especially like it because it's very flavorful without being full of bad-for-you ingredients; the spices really shine through! Thought I'd share:
12 oz ziti (although I have used both penne and macaroni; whole-wheat is great in this recipe because it makes it even more filling)
1/2 lean lb ground beef (turkey also works well)
2 Tbps olive oil (I just eyeball it)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
28 oz. crushed tomatos
1 C shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain. While the pasta cooks, preheat oven to 350.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet; when it's hot, add the garlic and cook until savory-smelling.
3. Add the ground beef and cook until done, then add all spices and cook until savory-smelling.
4. Add tomatos and bring to a boil.
5. Spoon just enough of the tomato-and-meat mixture into a 9x13 pan to cover the bottom.
6. Layer 1/2 the macaroni, 1/2 the remaining sauce, and 1/2 the cheese, then repeat.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.