22 September 2015

crockpot drumsticks

It's the beginning of fall - time to break out the crockpot! And we're super busy this season with the kids' school activities (like everyone else, I'm sure) so dinner prep is the earlier the better.

My little girls love "bone chicken" so that's what we had for dinner tonight. I did some searching for recipes specific for drumsticks in the crockpot. I found this recipe online somewhere (I don't even remember, and varied it up a bit - this is what I did:

- a dozen chicken drumsticks
- an entire head of garlic broken apart and dropped in the bottom of the crockpot. I didn't peel the cloves

- in a small bowl:
about 6 tbl of olive oil
rosemary
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

With a basting brush, brush each drumstick with the oil/spices and then put it in the crockpot on top of the garlic cloves. The dozen filled up my crockpot.

Pour 1 cup of chicken broth over everything. I cooked it on high for about 4 1/2 hours, and they were fall-apart goodness! The kids ate them right up. I was a bit heavy on the pepper flakes so that added a lot more heat than I was anticipating. But they were still good.

Served with rice (and spooned the leftover broth in the crockpot over the rice), and steamed green beans.

And for another tasty cold-weather dinner, this corn chowder. I make it with fresh corn rather than canned and once, Adam added chicken to it. You can substitute cream for the cream cheese, but it doesn't turn out as thick. Other than that, just follow the directions. Good stuff!

No comments: