11 February 2014

sleeveless blouse

In preparation for Cupcake's St. Patrick's dress, I decided to tackle the bodice.  I found a free pattern online and tried it out.  It was huge.  I cut down on the length, squared the neckline and tried again.  A better fit, but still too wide across the top.  I trimmed down the pattern a final time and added the opening in the back.  As I put it together I was worried that it would be too small (and it is a little snug), so I'll adjust it once again just a touch for the dress.
After all of that, I still haven't gotten sleeves figured out.  I followed three different tutorials, but different sleeves require different timing, so it didn't work out.  I made a quick strip of (un)bias tape to finish things off and make it a wearable top.  After making all the skirts the bottom was done in no time flat.  I'm proud of this top, and learned lots, and look forward to learning more. 
Before I tackle the dress I'm going to do a round of instant-gratification, mindless baby blankets.  A friend's mother was getting rid of a whole bunch of fabric and trims, so my stash just doubled.  A majority of that fabric is for baby blankets anyway (flannel and baby-print cottons, along with satin bindings), so might as well start using it up.  We've got seven babies on the way at church, so it's good to be prepared!

No comments: