08 February 2014

potato soup in the crockpot

And in the middle of all the sewing, I'm also trying new recipes. Since the beginning of the year, I've made 7 new recipes already and 3 just this week. Here is one of them. (And I'll get the rest on here eventually - lots of muffins. I've been baking because it's COLD.) The original recipe was from allthecooks.com which I can't find to link here because I used an app on my tablet.

Put into the crockpot:
2 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 cups water
1 chicken bullion cube (for these 3 things, I did 3 cups of water and 3 1/2 tsp of loose powdered bullion)
1 tbl. parsley
1 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp pepper (I measured the parsley and thyme, didn't the pepper. And I added a little salt.)
1 cup cubed ham
1 chopped onion
6 small potatoes (original recipe said red, I used white/russet. I measured about 3 cups of large-diced potatoes, but it could have used another cup.)

This will be watery because of the broth, which looks odd because potato soup is supposed to be creamy, but that will come later.

Cook on low for about 4 hours or until the potatoes are soft. It may be shorter, depending on how small you chop the potato chunks. So keep checking it every hour or so.

When the potatoes are mostly, but not all the way done, put in a saucepan on the stove:
5 tbl butter
5 tbl flour
2 cups evaporated milk (1 12-oz can)

Whisk together in the saucepan on med/low heat until it thickens, then add to the crockpot for the last bit of cooking.

The original recipe said it needed to cook for 5-6 hours, and the roux is added the last hour. WAY too long - I checked my soup at 4 hours and the potatoes were about to turn to mush. I added the roux for only the last few minutes because I needed to turn it off, and at first it was watery but it was thickened up really well for leftovers the next day.

No comments: