11 January 2010

slumgullion

Well, I didn't make it to 50 recipes in 2009 - I got to 42. Oh well. It was a good effort.

I have no idea what the name of this is, but it's a pasta dish with a rather random combination of vegetables. It tastes good, is quick and simple to make, and is great for a cold winter day! It's from the "Chicken Soup for the Soul Cookbook."

8 ounces elbow macaroni (I used mini penne - just something small)
1 tbl. oil to saute
1 cup diced onion
1/2 pound hamburger
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced green pepper
Worcestershire sauce
salt
cayenne pepper
sharp or Parmesan cheese - OPTIONAL

1. Make the pasta as normal.
2. Saute the onion and then add the hamburger and cook until browned and crumbly.
3. Add tomatoes, celery, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne. Cook for a few minutes until everything is heated through.
4. Mix with pasta to serve.
5. Put grated cheese over the top if you want.

The Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne all have measurements of 1 tsp or less, but I didn't measure any of them.

If you like it a bit more saucy, you'll want to add more tomatoes. It's pretty loose with not really any SAUCE to it.

The original recipe also called for the vegetables to all be minced. I did a fairly large dice on it all so they were more the same size as the pasta, and I like the combination of the tastes. We've actually made this before (I think Adam did before, and I did it today) - it's quick, easy, and good!

1 comment:

stewbert said...

42 IS a good effort! Good job!

Sounds yummy.