03 August 2009
Creamy Penne Pasta
This isn't the healthiest recipe, but it sure is yummy! The original recipe calls it a creamy pasta, but it's basically an alfredo sauce and penne.
* 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
* 1 tablespoons butter
* 4 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
* salt, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
* 3/8 cup half-and-half (I used half heavy cream and half 1%milk)
* 1/4 cup chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons water
* 3/8 cup parmesan cheese, grated
* 2 tablespoons sour cream
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter.
3. Stir in the oil, flour, garlic and seasonings until blended.
4. Gradually add the half and half, broth and water.
5. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
6. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and sour cream.
7. Drain pasta and toss with the sauce.
I added chicken and broccoli and it was a big hit with my picky family.