16 February 2009

chocolate frosting

I made cupcakes for a church function last week, and all I had in the cupboard was a white/vanilla cake mix. I thought it would be best with chocolate frosting, and here's the recipe I located somewhere online, with my addition of A LOT more sugar!

3 tablespoons butter - heat on low on the stove in a small saucepan until totally melted.

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder - when you add the cocoa powder to the butter, turn the heat off on the stove, then add the rest of the ingredients.

2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Once you have that all stirred together, keep adding powdered sugar about a half-cup at a time until you have it to the sweetness and consistency that you want. I added probably 3 or 4 more cups of sugar total.

Then you have to move pretty fast to get your cake frosted before the frosting stiffens up too much. The last few cupcakes I did, the frosting wasn't spreading very well and was starting to tear the cake.

11 of 50, the first new thing for February.

No comments: