05 February 2019

Monkey Wrench tutorial

Trina and I have been working on the Squared Away block of the month for the past year.  We got to the end and I didn't like the bonus square (and one other).  So I broke the rules and picked one I liked!  I found this Monkey Wrench block here but it used a paper piecing method, which wouldn't have matched the rest of the quilt.  So I had to figure it out on my own.  It was pretty straight forward, but to help Trina out when she was ready to make her own I made up this little tutorial.

Cut your fabric.
Purple: 
one 6" square (for magic 8 HSTs)
four 4.5"x2.5" rectangles
one 10.5"x2.5" strip 

White:
one 6" square (for magic 8 HSTs)
five 2.5" squares
one 10.5"x2.5" strip 


Make your pieces.
-Use your 6" squares to make eight HSTs. - VIDEO on how to make magic 8 HSTs.

-Mark four of the white squares with a diagonal line.  Put it RST on the purple rectangle.  Sew on the line (shown in red in the picture below).  Trim a 1/4" seam allowance (green line).  Press open.  Note: Make sure your diagonals are either going ALL one direction or HALF the other direction.  Either way works, just be aware of them.  I made them all going one direction, so that's what the pictures with show.

-Sew the two long strips together.  Trim into 2.5" sections. (Just like we've done throughout this whole project).

Note: I have no idea the best way to press the seams.  Most of them were open because I wasn't sure.


You should end up with this...
eight HSTs, four diagonal rectangles, four white/purple rectangles and one single white square.


Sewing!
Start with the HSTs.  Sew them in pairs.  To keep it quick I just made them all the same direction and rotated it in my final placement.

Sew the HSTs to the diagonal-rectangles.  Again, all four will look exactly the same. 

Add a purple/white rectangle to TWO sections.  (You can't do all four at once! Ask me how I know.)  While you are at it you can add the lone white square to another one of the p/w rectangles.

These seams will give you three long pieces.  Be aware of the direction you place things.

Finally, sew the two larger pieces to the center strip.  Press and admire!

No comments: