01 September 2014

happy anniversary!

Today is the anniversary of Operation Domestic Goddess! Sept. 1, 2006 was my first day as stay-home mom, full-time domestic engineer, happy homemaker ...

We've been canning all weekend. That means that Adam has been canning, and I've been washing dishes and getting more jars out of the storage room and kinda/sorta keeping the kids out of the way. 18 quarts of peaches, a bunch of small jars of peach syrup, 8 pints of tomato sauce, 8 pints of red cabbage chow-chow (a type of relish to put on meat), pickled peppers, a bunch of corn scraped off the cob and put in the freezer, and we still have probably 10 or 12 quarts of cucumbers to make into pickles. We're at 24 gallons and counting of pickles.

Today, I cut Adam's hair, had school with the girls, and mowed the lawn for the first time. Adam did the front yard and I did the back (which is a lot bigger). Tonight, I need to sit down with RG and have her choose her pattern for her birthday dress - RG and TA's birthdays are only 3 days apart at the beginning of October, so I need to get going on their dresses now to have both of them done on time.

We decided that Labor Day weekend is going to be LABOR Day for our family - we get work done with the house. We have beach plans for next weekend, when the crowds have gone away to school and work and it will still be 90 degrees. Ha ha ha!

Sidenote: For August sewing, I was planning to make a denim picnic blanket cut from old jeans for a Labor Day holiday challenge item. Alas, it was not to be. I cut some squares but didn't get very far. For as long as the summer is, I got a lot LESS done with sewing and around my house in June/July/August than I'd been planning. I really don't know why but I have very little to show for this summer.

My girls have been watching the sewing instruction videos on the MADE blog and JE liked the pillow cover. So I experimented with the envelope pillow cover with my couch throw pillows - JE chose some "spring" fabric and it went together very quickly. The back does have a bit of a gap - I need to do an overlap of 3 or 4 inches when I do it again rather than 2 inches as instructed in the video. The pillow is really poofy so that's probably why. My plan is to make Christmas pillow covers for the couch throw pillows - the couch is white and the covers zip off the pillows anyway. Should look good! Now to find the time to do it ...

2 comments:

april b said...

I recently did the pillow covers too! A hint, in case you don't want to spend that much money for pillow inserts (about $15-$18/ea): buy a cheap king-size pillow at a box store ($6-$8/ea), cut it in half, sew the rough edges and then follow the rest of the tutorial. You get 2 pillows for less than the price of 1!

This is also a great way to get batting to freshen up old pillows. Just rip open a cheap pillow and refill the one you want to keep!

Michelle Hagger said...

Hi,
Love your blog, and I made a pillow case last year out of squares of denim and it did take awhile, one of my first projects. I am new to blogging and am in the uk, but will be following your blog to see how the pillows come along for xmasx