21 April 2019

crazy cat girl

I'm not sure if she's a crazy cat girl, or a cat crazy girl ...


This is the child who, about a year ago, wanted to get rid of all of her clothes, and get all new clothes ... with cats on them. I saw this print online and figured what the heck. So I bought the fabric to make this dress for her, and happy birthday to our newly-minted 9-year-old!

I hadn't worked much with knit before, so I went for it and bought some higher end, more expensive knit for this. SO cute! SO soft! SO annoying to work with! The edges curled like nobody's business. I had to pin the crap out of it, seriously like every inch. I could steam it flat with the iron, but as soon as the heat went out of it, it curled up again. Now that it's done, it's a fabulous dress, but making it took awhile because of having to go so excruciatingly slow.

The pattern is the Girl on the Go dress from Oliver+S. The fabric is Cat Nap Pink by Dana Willard in the Blush collection.

And because this is the 500th POST!!!!! - I actually have an unopened copy of the Girl on the Go pattern that I will give away on April 29 (because that's the next 9 day, for my 9-year-old). US/Canada only. Comment what your hints are for working with knit fabrics because whoa, that was less than fun.

2 comments:

Dez55 said...

I'm a knit noob but I've heard good things about using fusible/no sew tape on edges and sewing with tissue paper to stabilize flimsy knits. This dress is adorable! I'd love to add it to my to do list.

RoaneFaery said...

That is super cute. The rolling for knit edges are annoying but in place of pins look into sewing clips. Amazon has good deals for a bunch- don’t try to buy at a local store or you will pay the same amount for a couple dozen versus a hundred. But if you stick with pins you should make sure you are using Ballpoint pins (and needles) so you don’t get runs in the knit.