10 March 2018

A Stitch In Time

The Challenge: create a project that includes patchwork, applique or quilting using the theme: A Stitch In Time in one week. (via Persimon Dreams, Project Quilting 9.5)

Step 1: Decide on a project.  This is where I feel like I spend the most time.  Brainstorming ideas, picking fabrics, and debating options over and over.  My sewing project wish list is quite lengthy, so why not add one more!  OR, better yet, why not use this challenge to cross something off my list?  This challenge is all about making good use of time!

Last week, while cleaning out my closet, I found a bag of scraps I was planning (before I started quilting) on using to make a rag rug.  Not anymore!  You know what saves time?  Pre-cut pieces.  Those small strips would be perfect for string piecing, which is something I had been wanting to do again.

Step 2: Prepare the fabric.  Since my scraps were all ready, the only thing I needed to do for this was cut the foundation pieces.  I originally wanted 9x9 squares but none of my scraps were long enough, so I cut them in half for 9x4.5 rectangles. Perfect.


Step 3: Piece.  I loved this part.  I spent three days sewing and ironing, over and over.  I used my little TV-tray-turned-ironing-board set up right next to my desk so I just had to turn in my seat to switch from one step to the next.  It was so relaxing, and I had fun picking what strips would come next (my only rule was no pink).  Later they got squared up and then sewn together in a 9x9 grid to complete the top.


Step 4: Sandwich and quilt.  Problem: I ran out of batting!  All my small pieces were used for the doll quilts I made last month.  Solution: don't use it and use fleece for the backing instead.  It saved me a trip to the store and certainly made the sandwich come together quickly.  I just had to be a little extra careful while quilting since fleece is stretchy.  It made the quilt so much more cuddly, perfect for these cold Alberta winters.


Step 5: Bind.  I have been slowly getting better at this part.  This time I made my seam allowance on the front quite small (a little too small perhaps), so I had more binding on the back than the front.  Which made it much easier to do, but probably isn't how it should go.  I was happy I had the perfect geometric print to make it, and it went on smoothly.  (PS I totally cheat and sew on both front and back, because I don't have time for hand-sewing!)

Step 6: Pictures!  The final stitches were sewn well after the sun went down, so I planned to take pictures the next day.  But we went to the zoo and made cookie dough, and before I knew it the sun was setting again and I still didn't have pictures.  I wandered around my tiny, dark apartment trying various locations and lighting before stumbling across a place I never thought of before - behind the bathroom door.  Blank white wall, and bright lights?  Perfect for photographing my happy little quilt!

String Bean
24" x 24"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Saves time! I'm in the middle of a wonky log cabin for kids 5 ft bed

Sista said...

Nice one, I love using scraps.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a great idea for using up scraps! I'll have to remember how you did this!

PersimonDreams said...

wonderful piece! Glad you joined in the fun ;)